Establish a safe learning environment by assuring learner that this is an opportunity for learning, not a test.
Set a specific assignment to complete while observing. For example:
- Watch what questions I ask about their drug and alcohol use.
- Watch the order I perform the respiratory examination.
A key point is to consider how to maximise the learning while being followed.
- Determine the learners relevant knowledge
- Identify what they should learn from the observation
- Give clear guidelines for what the learner should do and not do during the demonstration
- Introduce the student to the patient and explain their role